Tuesday 18 March 2008

Happy Easter!

As this is my last day before my Easter Hols, I thought I’d have a look at Easter Fare again.. Trying to steer away from chocolate this time.. Not literally! Oh no… Just for the purposes of this posting! Lets start with the BBC (A very good place to start?) I’m not sure whether I fancy the Norwegian ‘lutefisk’ (Rehydrated dried salt cod) ! or the polish soup with sausage, horseradish and hard-boiled eggs, or indeed the Greek Easter 'Treat' - kokkoresti (spit-roasted lambs' innards wrapped in intestine) Lovely!?!?!

Hmm... Let’s move on…How about Finland ? Mammi seems very popular.. So, what is it? A dark brown porridge made of water and sweetened rye malt, baked in a slow oven in cardboard boxes! Not terribly tempting...!

Are things any better in Germany? 'Eier in gruener Sosse', which translates as 'eggs in green sauce'? no? No, I agree.. What about Italy.. Surely, there's something to satisfy the most discerning palate here.. Lets try the Pastiera - A pie filled with Ricotta cheese and studded with Candied fruits…. oh dear... Lets go further afield... Mexico... their speciality? Shrimp fritters!!

You know what? Here's to chocolate... and hot cross buns and Simnel cake! I think I know where I would rather be spending Easter! What about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy indeed... eating Mämmi.
It's a delicacy you shouldn't avoid just because it looks pretty gross. I love it! During Easter I eat it in the morning, after lunch, in the evening watching telly. I challenge you all to test it, next Easter - at the latest.